Are you having trouble with pain in your temporomandibular joint (TMJ)? Don't worry, you're not alone.
TMJ pain affects millions worldwide, causing discomfort and affecting daily activities like eating and speaking. However, the good news is that various treatment options are available to help alleviate TMJ pain and improve your quality of life. Let us explore what you can expect from TMJ pain treatments in Cary and guide you through finding relief. In a previous blog post, we discussed what sedation dentistry is and why it's used . However, in this blog post, we will explore TMJ pain treatment and what to expect.
Diagnosis and Evaluation of TMJ Pain: The First Step to Relief
The first step in managing TMJ pain is to diagnose the condition accurately. Seeking professional help from a dentist or an oral and maxillofacial specialist is crucial. During your initial visit, your oral surgeon in Cary will conduct a thorough examination, including reviewing your medical history and performing a physical assessment of your jaw and facial muscles. In some cases, imaging tests like X-rays or MRI scans may be required to assess the severity of the condition.
Non-Invasive Treatment Options for TMJ Pain Relief:
Once a diagnosis is confirmed, your healthcare provider will discuss various treatment options based on the severity of your TMJ pain. In many cases, non-invasive treatments are recommended as the first line of defense. These may include:
- Lifestyle Modifications: Simple changes like avoiding hard or chewy foods, practicing relaxation techniques to reduce stress, and maintaining good posture can significantly alleviate TMJ pain.
- Medications: Over-the-counter pain relievers can help with reducing inflammation and relieve pain. Some cases may also require the use of muscle relaxants and tricyclic antidepressants.
- Physical Therapy: A trained therapist can guide you through exercises and stretches that target the muscles and joints involved in TMJ pain. These exercises can improve jaw mobility, strengthen muscles, and reduce discomfort.
Dental Interventions for TMJ Pain Relief in Cary:
If non-invasive treatments do not provide sufficient relief, the dentists in Cary may suggest dental interventions, including:
- Oral Splints or Mouthguards: Wearing these custom-made devices over the teeth can help align the jaw properly, reduce teeth grinding and clenching, and relieve TMJ pain.
- Orthodontic Treatment: In some cases, orthodontic interventions, such as braces or clear aligners, may be recommended to correct bite abnormalities and improve jaw alignment.
TMJ Pain Surgery: Last Resort Treatment Options
Surgery is usually considered the last resort when other treatments have failed to relieve TMJ pain. Surgical procedures for TMJ pain include arthrocentesis, arthroscopy, and open joint surgery. These interventions from oral surgeons in Cary aim to repair or replace damaged joint structures, remove scar tissue, or correct structural abnormalities.
Ready to Change Your Life with TMJ Pain Treatments in Cary?
If you are experiencing TMJ pain, it is essential not to ignore it. Take your first step towards TMJ relief by scheduling an appointment with Dr. Tom Pezdek and the team at Pezdek Dental Care right now to learn more about what you can gain from TMJ pain treatment in Cary . For more information, call us at 919-362-5777.
Thomas N. Pezdek, DDS PA
412-D East Williams St.
Apex, NC 27502
Mon - Thu: 7:30 AM - 4:30 PM